SFTV Certificates of Insurance

Risk Management acts as the liaison between SFTV, its students, and our insurance broker and insurance company. Risk Management reads and approves many scripts and treatments. If there is something in a script that is uninsurable, Risk Management will work with HOPA and the students to mitigate the issues.

A Certificate of Insurance (COI) is required if you are shooting off campus or getting equipment off campus. Before the Risk Management office will issue a Certificate of Insurance to anyone (permit office, vendor, property owner, etc.) you must submit a Request for Certificate of Insurance to Risk Management with the details of your shoot.

If you are going to need Certificates of Insurance, you must first apply for a filming permit from the appropriate permit office. This should be the first thing you do once you receive notification from the Risk Management office that your project has been approved.

The most important thing to remember is that this is all going to take time. The permit offices will require several days to issue your permit and it will take a few days to get a Certificate of Insurance from the Risk Management office. Plan ahead and get started early!

Failure to get a filming permit (when shooting off campus) will render your LMU insurance null and void. That means if anything is lost, stolen, broken, or damaged - or if anyone gets hurt - you will be financially responsible for the expense. Intentional misinformation, script-changing or gross negligence will jeopardize future insurability. This decision will be made by SFTV and Risk Management.

If you have any questions, please contact Nancy Rubio at nancy.rubio@lmu.edu, 310.338.1829 (office), or 801.600.7806 (mobile). You can also contact Doug Moore at douglas.moore@lmu.edu, 310.338.3071 (office), or 424.702.7595 (mobile).